Sunday, July 20, 2008

Barely Starting To Scratch the Surface

Ok....how is it when one doesn't have to really think of much the writing flows, yet when one has to write something that definitely involves thought - the writing has to be etched out letter by letter? One may as well be using a hammer & chisel on a piece of block marble. At least when one stops there's the obvious fruit of effort made by the sweat on the brow, and various sizes of marble & dust on the ground.

I'm getting to write about something that I thought I knew a few things about, but am learning that in actuality what I knew barely scratched the surface. Something that I thought had been a great a tumultuous event...in actuality just one of a series of events, and possibly not even the final event that is now known as The Great Schism.

I find it curious that in a day and time without any of the modern devices, even conveniences, we have in 2008 - such landmark things took place either as well as they did or as tragically as they did in the early days of the Church. On the one hand it's amazing what the Holy Spirit can do if we humans stay either out of His way or in accordance to His way while on the other how utterly tragic things can go when we don't do those things. So easy to analyze in regards to issues of World History, Church History etc. and we the rather distant observers have the convenience of time to look at things 'objectively' when people were doing not much different from what's being done now - seeking out to live life in the best manner that glorifies God and seeks out His way in our lives. Yet without all the gadgets & gizmos afforded to us.

The thing I've always loved about being Orthodox is the fact that it's ok to feel like you're a Catechumen all over again, and have questions on top of questions. This wasn't my experience before I discovered Orthodoxy, but rather always made to feel that if I read *this* book or took *that* class and sought out *this* particular degree under *that* professor/pastor/missionary's guidance then I'd reach the pinnacle of knowledge. At least human-wise. In Orthodoxy I love that it's ok to say, "I don't know/understand - help?" and not worry about the Mysteries being withheld...or abject dismissal from one's priest.

I'm aware that I'm going to be writing a tiny tome on something that people - Orthodox and otherwise - have spent years studying and analyzing. In the end, however, it's simply a great tragedy of what can happen when human pride gets in the way of the Holy Spirit's leading & guidance. Yet so many, myself especially, do this on a smaller scale on a day-to-day basis with each other with the greatest of ease. I pray on this I can learn to avoid that trap, and hopefully get on paper some of the lessons that can be taken from this significant tragedy in Church History.

No comments: