There are times when I am genuinely amazed at what's out there these days in regards to technology. Things that were science fiction for me growing up are now to one degree or another reality. Things that weren't possible even ten years ago are now indispensable in our day to day lives today, and forms of human suffering that just had to be accepted for what they are are now avenues of hope, healing, and recovery. Not to say that there are still plenty of areas where there is still needless human suffering where healing is needed by any means - it's simply miraculous what can be done now. Thanks be to God.
Yet at the same time there are things that are just as timely today as they were in the early centuries of Christianity, or for the purposes of this conversation - monasticism. I am currently reading the writings of a Saint who's words could have been written a month ago, but that's not the case. His words were written many centuries ago and they're still applicable today. Granted, he wrote for the benefit of other monastics but his words are invaluable for anyone who desires to seek after Christ. In my case, however I am prayerfully pursuing a potential monastic calling yet in light of the serious decision that it is - I'm doing it very prayerfully, very slowly.
It amazes me that no matter how advanced we get as a society - inventions, new knowledge, etc. - we are yet still the same as previous societies where to even write a letter and send it off was an act of faith. Relationships with other people - no matter the stripe - are just as complex now as they were then never mind the myriad of books out there on how to improve them. Or even to improve one's own self - again, myriads of self-help books never mind our access to the Scriptures, the Church Fathers, and many other holy men and women of God who penned what they had learned for those in their community that we can by God's grace benefit from even today.
I think what I'm liking about reading writings from centuries before is there's none of the "pop psychology", none of the "whiz-bang-WOW!" or "Read this book today - change your life forever!" swirl. Instruction is given not from the perspective of one who's all ready climbed to the top of the mountain and is enjoying the view but rather from someone who is still in the process of climbing that mountain as well. Don't get me wrong - those individuals are FAR holier than me and their wisdom certainly surpasses mine. However, it's in the humility, the remembering of their own sin that helps me to focus on mine so I too can pursue a similar path as them. I'm certainly not one who wants to be able to have the end result of being able to walk into any store and buy something without looking at the price - I'm learning to rather desire that which no price tag can ever be placed, and has all ready been offered to me as a gift.
I think part of it has to do in large part with my own willingness, developing my own humility as I seek out and pursue my own repentance. I'm seeking out the fine balance between being very honest yet not going so far as to pick up and administer a sledgehammer where a pillow is needed. Yes, repentance is a hard, difficult path - but grace also needs to be kept in the picture. I need to learn how to view myself no higher than dirt without giving into despondency otherwise no true refining can take place - it will all be counterproductive.
Which is why I take comfort in reading the words of a Saint that were written centuries ago. I know my struggle is not new, I'm not the first person to pursue such a life - and by God's grace I can succeed at it because it's nothing new.
Monday, July 27, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment