Well, Nativity is no longer weeks or months away - rather, it's hours away.
Instead of my usual excitement, there is a point when I'll admit to a bit of sadness. Friends that I would love to get to spend this wondrous day with it's simply not possible because they're with their families - and by God's grace I'll get to be with mind (Weather & Cal-Trans permitting!). I never really got to have those sorts of Christmas Days where the 'routine' (drill?) would be to wake up with a house full of people, open presents and then either go somewhere to hang out with more family/friends (after getting changed into clothes other than one's footed Christmas jammies, of course) or simply stay put while the house fills up with even more family/friends.
Every year for the last several years during the month of December regardless of what's going on I make sure to read Charles Dickens' masterpiece, A Christmas Carol. I let it be both my end-of-the-year reflection while I also remember the joy that is Christmas so that I can be sure to carry it firmly within myself the entire month. And hopefully as Scrooge does post-ghostly visits, the entire year through. Alas, my very fallen self doesn't always succeed - but thankfully there is repentance and being able to pick up and continuing on.
I think the part that saddens me is while in Dickens' tale we read about Scrooge's nephew having Christmas at his house - and there's more than family members there, but friends as well. Everyone feasts, plays games, and has a splendid time in each others' company on this Blessed Feast Day.
I wish that could be something I could do. Open my home not just to family, but friends as well. Granted, I'm blessed enough to know that my current dwelling couldn't begin to do that...but the dream is there. In the meantime...a small part of me waits for Christmas to be gotten through so I can be in touch with my friends again after the imposed 'black out'.
Then I got to receive a phone call from a friend and we got to talk, catch up and share things with one another as friends do. At one point in the conversation I brought up this sentiment somewhat in regards to my not liking being separated from those friends I care about. He reminded me that in Christ we are all family - and there's no reason to not be in touch with one another on even this particular day. Yes, I have friends that are hundred even thousands of miles away from me - but thankfully they are also my Brothers and Sisters in Christ, and I'll just have to make a few Family Phone Calls on Christmas Day to express that sentiment.
No, it's nowhere close to the scenario I pictured up above - but thankfully with today's technology, Christmas cheer and the joy of our Lord's Nativity can be shared. And will be shared.
Gotta love friends & phone calls. :-)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment