Monday, March 07, 2011

It's the most wonderful time of the year...

Now that I've shared the song bit that's been looping in my head with you (and now it's in yours)...perhaps some clarification is in order.

First off, yes I'm well aware that Spring is nigh upon us and that Christmas is well over. However, that phrase is looping in my head for a different reason. Two, in fact.

"Forgive me the sinner. God forgives, and I forgive."

"Remember, O Man, that dust thou art and unto dust shalt thou return."

As I continue my very Catholic (no, not Roman) practice of balancing between East and West the aforementioned statements are very much so related to one another with the arrival of Lent and all that it has in store for those of us who keep it in preparation for Pascha.

As I may or may not have mentioned before, repentance is at the core of Lent. Becoming either newly or increasingly aware of the need for repentance in our individual lives requires us to not only seek out the forgiveness of others but to be wary of not forgiving as the spiritual disciplines engaged in during Lent will not only be nonexistent they'll be downright harmful to one's soul. Yes, this requires humility on both parts but the only one for whom it matters on my end of things...is me. This doesn't excuse me from healing any breaches in the various relationships in my life but if I don't seek it out, whether mutual or not, I am the one in the end that loses out on the gifts that God wants to bestow me with by being obedient in this very important aspect of repentance.

Forgiveness Vespers in the East offers us this opportunity by not only seeking out but also the extending of forgiveness to those in my life whether or not I'm aware I need to do so. Fact of the matter is, as clumsy and self-centered I can be I don't doubt my need for seeking out the forgiveness of every human being I've ever interacted with. While this isn't humanly possible in every case, where I can I must and by doing so I can start out this season of repentance on the right foot.

Another key element is the need to keep the constant reminder of death before me as I seek my repentance. The West offers this through the observance of Ash Wednesday, where at the start of Liturgy the priest places an ashen Cross on the forehead of the penitent while stating "Remember, O Man, that dust thou art and unto dust shall you return." While I can understand the arguments that my Eastern Brothers and Sisters raise against this, when done appropriately this service has a very valid place. Fortunately I am afforded to receive ashes at night and strictly within the community to which I belong that does this. So there is no making a display of my repentance - we are all doing it as a community and family. It's done in the evening and I go straight home afterwards being made fully aware that my life could be brought to an end this evening and I need to seek out my repentance while I still have time by God's grace.

Forgiveness and mindfulness of death at the start of Lent - two very beautiful things that keep the focus where it needs to be: on my soul's need for repentance and not on that of my neighbor. There is no one who will give an accounting for my soul but me, and I need to be sure that I am at peace with all around me for I'll have enough accounting to give all on my lonesome when it is time for me to face God. However, I am not alone in this struggle as I will be enabled by Christ through His ultimate sacrifice to pursue my repentance. Further, there will be my fellow strugglers on this journey as we go about seeking our individual repentance in community with one another.

With that, let us enter the Fast with joy!

No comments: